Q Type Crossley Donkey with Queen Mary Trailer
As used by 417 R.S.U. attached to 140 Wing, Mosquito
Squadron R.A.F. at Wahn near Cologne in 1945-6. My Father drove
these around France, Belgium and Germany at the end of WWII carrying
parts of Mosquito aircraft. A complete mainplane could be carried
or a fuselage or several Merlin engines.
The term "Q" type referred to the quad or 4 wheel drive capability.
- Tractor was Crossley 4 X 4
- Tractor wheelbase - 11 ft.
- 5.2 litre Crossley 30/100 engine
- 4 Cylinders cast in pairs
- Side Valves
- Bore 109.5mm, Stroke 139.7mm
- 100 BHP
- Aluminium cylinder heads
- Dry sump lubricatiion
- Trailer 50ft. long "Queen Mary" total vehicle length 60ft.
- 5 Ton load evenly distributed on trailer